Sunday, May 31, 2009

Reflections on Memorial Day and Congressman Sam Graves latest Straight Talk

Last Monday my wife and I had the privilege of going down to the Memorial Day ceremony on the lawn at the Liberty Memorial. I am ashamed to say that this was the first time that I have ever been able to do something like this. This has not always been my fault for the last ten years of my life I have worked in retail oriented jobs and Memorial Day is one that you pretty much have to work. As a child and teenager we just never did stuff like this, usually on vacation or at the lake during this weekend. I must say we had a great time despite the rain. The ceremony was nice and made me think of just the amazing courage that it takes to say that you value ideas and country more than your own life. Thank you to all who have served this great nation. The freedoms that I have enjoyed are because of your selfless service and sacrifice. For that aspect alone I will forever be grateful.

Below you will find the most recent Straight Talk with Sam Graves.

Remember to Thank a Veteran

Americans pause this week as we observe Memorial Day. No doubt many Americans will take advantage of the holiday to enjoy the outdoors. Some will attend cookouts with their neighbors; others will use the long weekend to visit family and friends. Americans work hard and they will no doubt enjoy a little extra time to spend with friends and family.

Memorial Day though is not simply a day to take it easy. The holiday began after the Civil War as a way to honor soldiers who had given their life in order to maintain our Union. Since then it has been expanded to include the veterans of all wars and conflicts. It is a day to pause and remember those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Even today, brave young men and women are standing watch far from home. They are helping to protect the freedoms that we enjoy today. From the Civil War to today, our professional and citizen soldiers have always answered the call of duty.

Not every soldier who serves this country participates in an epic battle. Every major victory though is made possible by soldiers who are simply doing their job. No matter what battle they fought in, I believe we need to keep our commitment to all veterans.

As Americans we have a duty to remember and care for all of those who served this country and carried the banner of freedom. I hope that you will join me in pausing to remember all of those that have served and sacrificed for this great country.

Sincerely,
Sam Graves

No comments:

Post a Comment